Saturday, January 28, 2012

"The Old Man and the Sea"- classic


After reading Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway's writing style to me was clear- verbose, and wordy. Yet around me teachers and friends would comment on his terse and clean writing style. How can my beliefs be so contradictory with everyone else's? To me, Hemingway used every possible adjective and took every possible way of going "around" what he really was trying to say. At no point, did Hemingway come right out and say "I killed the fish because I was hungry." Were others thinking he was terse in his diction? Perhaps his words were chosen with meaning, but overall his wordy messages were in no way terse apart from their meaning. The Old Man and the Sea's overall meaning did not come out to me as a story reflecting man's responsibility and duty in nature, but more reflected Hemingway's views on the way a man should be and the principles he should have. It is clear that Hemingway believes a man should live with dignity and honor, enduring all kinds of pain. No matter the writing style, terse or not, The Old Man and the Sea is to be read as a classic.

-Her
Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment